What comes to mind when you think of YouTube? Videos, videos and more videos I would say.
There is plethora of visual content accessible to over one billion users, with audiences on average spending 40 minutes a day on simply watching videos. 18-49-year-olds prefer watching YouTube over any TV network, with views generating into the billions.
It’s quite an interesting shift we are living through; a world where YouTube videos are viewed on TV screens, and TV content being watched on YouTube. It is said that by 2020, more than 80% of online traffic will come from videos.
If you haven’t considered YouTube advertising for your business, then now is the perfect time.
Types of YouTube ads
YouTube ads play just before your intended video starts. Remember the time you were watching a new movie trailer and before that an ad for a local business popped up? That was a YouTube ad.
YouTube video ads allow you to tell a comprehensive brand story that can easily engage with your target audience than a tv ad.
You can choose your ad type depending on your business goals.
- Bumper ad – a six second video, non-skippable, uses short-gripping messages. And you only pay for it once it is shown 1,000 times.
- TrueView In-stream ad – played before the video begins, designed specifically to capture the attention of your prospects in the first five seconds of the ad and best to gain mass visibility. You are only charged after a user reaches 30 seconds in your ad, or decides to watch the entire ad.
- TrueView Discovery ad – appears to the side of content while watching a video. These are beneficial to build YouTube channel subscribers.
One of the major benefits of YouTube advertising is that it represents an opportunity to get in front of the right audience for your business. You can specify your criteria based on demographics, age, gender, status and over 100 interests based on what audiences are watching.
YouTube will allow you to breakdown the audience in three categories.
- Affinity Audiences – raises brand awareness amongst the viewers who carry a strong interest in relevant topics.
- In-Market Audiences – targeting audiences that are actively looking to buy what you offer.
- Life Event Audiences – ads targeting audiences based on their purchase behaviour and brand preferences. For example, when I moved to Sydney, I was looking to buy new accessories and furniture for the room, and YouTube showed ads based on my search behaviour on Google.
Measuring your campaign
You can’t measure your target audience with traditional television media advertising, but that’s not the case with YouTube advertising. You can easily measure the success of your ad campaign.
It works best for your business as it allows you to drive the results you want based on views, impression, unique viewers, view-through rate, total amount of time the audience watched the video and brand awareness.
Is it cost-effective?
Yes, it is! You only pay when someone watches your ad either by clicking it or watching the whole ad – cost per view pricing model is one of the most affordable option than TV or radio.
Video consumption is the largest share of digital media and it’s still growing, however ad spend still lacks in this area, so competition is relatively low, and so is the cost to advertise. You can even make budget adjustments to your video campaign anytime you want, so you get great flexibility.
Are you considering YouTube advertising for your business? With ReachLocal, an expert will work with you to understand your goals and ensure a smooth set up for your campaign. Contact us today if you are ready to get started with YouTube advertising.